Microfiction, the Man in Corduroy

Image Source : poszetka



The Man in Corduroy, Part 1

When I was eight, I went too far into the woods behind my house and got lost. A man dressed in corduroy approached. He smelled of rotten meat and scared me. “Don’t be afraid Charley, I’ll take you home”. How did he know my name and where I lived?  Scared and crying, I agreed to let him help. His stench so putrid that I almost threw up. He led me past the creek that I played in and by the tree I climbed. Soon, I was in my yard. I turned to thank him but he disappeared into the woods.


The Man in Corduroy, Part 2 

 A cold winter’s night, I slept comfortably in my warm bed. Awakened by the smell of rotten meat, I opened my eyes and at my feet was a man in corduroy. “help” I screamed. The man disappeared. The next day, my parents told me a corduroy man died 50 years ago.




Author's Note : I used to play in the woods often when I was younger. My friends and I ventured farther than we were supposed to. Surprisingly, we never got lost. That is what inspired me to write this. I wanted the stories to connect.


Comments

  1. Getting lost in the woods, or at least exploring them, is something a lot of us are familiar with. My cousins and I used to always explore the small forest next to our grandparents house, looking for the bigfoot we always saw in our Papa's TV shows. Your micro fiction really is like a short horror story, one that you would read in an anthology of short scary stories. The mystery behind the corduroy man is intriguing and for such a short read, it is wonderfully told!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daphne, interesting stories! I like the photo you included. Since it only shows part of the person’s body and not their face, it feels very mysterious. Some details like the smell of rotten meat also added to the mysterious and creepy feel. Was the character the same in the first and second stories? I couldn’t quite tell since they were both in first person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daphne, I used to always love to get lost in the woods also when I was little. I like your description of the man as smelling like rotting meat as a way to let the reader know that he is dead. I like the way you describe the corduroy man because it makes him seem mysterious. Although being smelly, he was kind enough to guide you home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Week 3 Story : Trickery in Asgard